I first heard of Reiki from one of my favorite healers on the planet--Dr. Cynthia Aten--my physician in college. She was the first doctor I saw as a young adult who I felt really listened to me, was patient, and had an old soul sort of wisdom I immediately trusted.
She took care not only of my physical well-being but also got me onto a path of emotional healing that I'm so grateful for. Because I loved and respected her so much, I kept in touch with her after college. In one of our conversations, she told me that she was studying Reiki. At the time, I had not heard of Reiki and thought it sounded a little strange.
Fast forward about a decade when my whole life trajectory shifted through an amazing, spontaneous healing experience. This event led me to seek a healing modality to study and Reiki kept popping up everywhere. Because someone I admired so much had spoken highly of it, I decided to take a class and have been in love with this healing way ever since. I get asked about it so often that I wanted to share more about what Reiki is and how it can benefit you.
Reiki is a beautiful, gentle yet powerful Japanese energy healing technique used to reduce stress, enhance relaxation, and promote healing at all levels of the being. Reiki healing energy is channeled through the hands and can be used on oneself, others, animals, environments, and any animate or inanimate objects. It can be used at a distance or in person. It can be sent into the past or future. Here is how Reiki is described in an article by Hilary Miles:
“Reiki is an energy healing treatment that works holistically; on the whole body, mind and spirit. Not a system of religious beliefs, Reiki is simply a relaxing treatment whereas natural healing vibrations are transmitted through the hands of a Reiki practitioner (acting as a conduit) to the body of the recipient. The purpose of a Reiki treatment is to relieve stress and pain, induce relaxation, release emotional blockages, accelerate natural healing, balance subtle bodies energies and support other medical modalities including traditional therapies.”
The benefits of Reiki are many. When I do Reiki on myself or receive it from another practitioner, I typically feel an amazingly deep sense of relaxation that feels so delicious and sweet. Sometimes, some imbalances are being cleared away, so I can feel uncomfortable in my body, but most of the time, it feels incredible.
Reiki relaxes not only the body, but I find that it also clears my mind, opens my heart, and leave me feeling lighter and brighter. One of my clients recently described it as receiving a lovely bath for your soul. It's a little hard to describe, so you have to experience it for yourself to really feel its benefits, which are numerous. Here are just a few:
1. Reiki promotes stress reduction and relaxation, which in turn helps improve sleep, strengthens the immune system, and optimizes the body’s overall state of health and well-being.
2. Reiki helps to bring balance to the mind and emotions. It provides relief for emotional distress and helps in the grieving process by clearing stuck emotions.
3. Reiki provides relief from physical pain and can be an effective way to treat immediate problems and to speed up recovery after surgery or illness.
4. Reiki helps open and heal the heart, allowing one to strengthen and heal personal relationships with self and others. It improves one’s capacity for empathy and allows for greater hope and optimism.
5. Reiki brings about a sense of inner peace and harmony, which can be a very valuable tool in the quest for spiritual growth and improving practices such as meditation and mindfulness.
I have felt the incredible benefits of Reiki firsthand and love doing Reiki on myself, sharing it with others, and getting Reiki treatments. If you have ever been curious about Reiki specifically or longed for a natural, safe alternative/supplement to medical treatment, I encourage you to try it.
I'd recommend first receiving a Reiki treatment and if you love it, consider studying it yourself. It's such a simple yet powerful way to enhance your health, wellness and joy. Email me or call 858-444-7993 to learn more and to receive special savings if you'd like to try Reiki for yourself.